No one wants to get stung by a bee, since the sting can be quite painful. But for some people, bee stings can be very dangerous if they have an extreme allergic reaction. If you or one of your children experience allergic reactions to bee stings, it is important to know how to respond. Take the following steps if your child with a bee allergy is stung by a bee:
Remove the Stinger
A bee administers its venom through its stinger, which can penetrate the skin of humans. When a bee stings, its stinger falls off and can stay in the sting. If you want to reduce the amount of venom that is injected and reduce the allergic reaction, it is essential to remove the stinger as quickly as possible. Ideally, you want to remove the stinger within seconds before all of the venom is injected.
Monitor Signs of a Reaction
In most cases, a person with a mild allergy to bee stings will experience pain, itching, swelling, and redness at the site where they were stung. One of the easiest ways to help manage a minor allergic reaction to a bee sting is by administering an over-the-counter oral antihistamine, as this medication can help reduce redness, swelling, and itching. Placing ice on the area that was stung may also help with the pain.
Watch for Anaphylactic Shock
Most people have minor allergic reaction to bee stings, but there are some people who are extremely allergic. For these people, a bee sting can cause major medical problems. Anaphylactic shock after a bee sting will usually show symptoms within a few minutes. Some of the signs of anaphylaxis include difficulty breathing, skin rashes, feeling light headed, fast heart beat, nausea, and vomiting.
If you suspect anaphylaxis after a bee sting, seek immediate medical attention, as anaphylactic shock can be fatal if not treated. Call for help and then administer an oral antihistimine if the person stung is able to swallow. Some people with extreme allergic reactions to bees are prescribed epinephrine-- inject this medication if it is available.
A severe allergic reaction to a bee sting that results in anaphylactic shock will require treatment in the emergency room. After being discharged, make sure you follow up with your child's pediatrician. It may take some time for your child to feel normal after a severe allergic reaction to a bee sting, but with prompt medical care, there should not be any long-term issues. Click here to learn more about having a bee sting allergic reaction and steps to take.